ARRL ARES Communicator's Comments - 2018-08-05

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications' started by W.T. Jones, Aug 5, 2018.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

[​IMG]
    Luzerne County ARES® Sunday Night Bulletin
    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
    Archilochus - Greek Poet and Soldier

"Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal. The only thing that matters is the courage to carry on."
    Winston Churchill
    Download Version
    If you are not aware of what the ARRL Board is doing then it is time for you to get informed!

MY ARRL VOICE

• Current Versions of Fldigi programs
    • Luzerne County ARES® Information...
    • Luzerne County ARES®Net Control Schedule
    • !Luzerne County LCARES Announcements...
    • Click Here for the Luzerne County ARES®Activities Schedule
    • Click Here for Net Schedules of Interest - updated on 8/4/2018
    • 2018 LCARES Members Operational Status - Net Stats - Bulletin Responses (updated 8/5/18)...
    • Weekly Images
    • An ARRL ARES®Communicator's Comments
      • Training...
      • SSES Locations...
      • Antennas at WN3LIF...
    • Ham Radio Links
    • Closing
    Bulletin Date: August 5, 2018
    Bulletin Number: 210

This Bulletin is for all Amateur Radio Operators in Luzerne County and any interested Amateur Radio Station anywhere.

Note: A copy of this Bulletin is stored on the www.w3luz.org web site in .wav file format. This file can be replayed by Fldigi and Flamp to get the complete Bulletin.

Current Versions of Fldigi programs
    Current Versions of Fldigi Suite
    Fldigi Flmsg Flamp
    4.0.17 4.0.7 2.2.03
    Current as of: August 5, 2018. *Indicates an update in the past week.
    Latest versions available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/
    or at http://www.w1hkj.com/

Luzerne County ARES® Information...
    - Important: The Sunday Night Bulletin is required reading for all LCARES Members. If you are busy look for the things with the ! in front of them.

Luzerne County ARES®Net Control Schedule
    The Rotation Schedule for the LCARES Voice net has been posted on the www.w3luz.org. Last update: August 1, 2018

Please be sure to review the NCS schedule before the upcoming nets.

!Luzerne County LCARES Announcements...
    (These will be read by the Alternate NCS during the regular weekly session of the LCARES Voice Net.)

* - indicates that announcement should not be read on the LCARES Net.

1. ! No nets on August 7. Quarterly Training (QT) at the LCEMA EOC. Attend if you can make it. Please put your Amateur Radio Call on the sign-in sheet so credit can be given for attendance.
    2. ! The Net Control Schedule has been updated on the LCARES web site. If you are an NCS then be sure to check it as the schedule has changed due to the QT.
    3. ! There will be an SSES Laptop Training and Distribution Session on Thursday, August 30th, from 1900hrs to 2000hrs at the LCEMA EOC. The training should not take long. All those who volunteered for the SSES Drill should attend.
    4. ! The SSES Practice Drill is scheduled for Thursday, September 6th. Details will be published soon as to the times the operators need to be in place.
    5. The Lackawanna County ARES and the Wayne-Pike County ARES Net are now active. See the Net Schedules of Interest below for dates, times, and frequencies.!
    6. The New (as of October 1st) Section Manager may be joining our Tuesday Night nets. He is a traffic handler and even after the October 1st date will be glad to take the SARs. You may want to exert yourselves and send him a radiogram congratulating him on becoming the Section Manager (SM).
    7. The 3rd Quarter Message Challenge is now on the web site. The Single Resource Team Members can begin sending their messages to the EC at any time. Remember that each member of the SRT need to send one message per quarter to remain that their SRT level. If any member of the LCARES wants to try to send one of the messages they will be accepted, critiqued, and appreciated.
    Click Here for the Luzerne County ARES®Activities Schedule
    Click Here for Net Schedules of Interest - updated on 8/4/2018
    2018 LCARES Members Operational Status - Net Stats - Bulletin Responses (updated 8/5/18)...

Note: Credit is given for responding but to win, place, or show the answer has to be correct.
    Sunday Night Bulletin for July 29, 2018 Responses
    1st Response
    KC3FKW
    2106hrs
    2nd Response
    WB3FKP
    2113hrs
    3rd Response
    K3IK
    2117hrs
    Total Bulletin Responses for Last Week - 8

Weekly Images
    [​IMG]

The Kind of Training that is really needed!

An ARRL ARES®Communicator's Comments
    Training...
    - There is that dirty word again. Training. That thing we hate to do but wish we had when the time is just right.

The recent ARES Restructuring email that I sent resulted in my sending a rather lengthy email to one of the EPA ECs. The main gist of the email was the training requirements for what is called Tier 3 or the ECs, DECs, and SECs. I think the ARRL is missing the mark with their proposals but that isn't what I want to talk about right now.

The training that I see that is badly neglected by ARES in general is for the rank and file. You guys and girls is who I am talking about. This high lofty talk about ICS 300 and 400 as well as management classes for ARES leadership is all well and good but if there is no one to lead and the ones that are being lead don't have any idea about what they are to do it is all for naught. Naught means zero or nothing.

All of you performed as expected and then some during the April Commex and I have no complaints at all. But think about it folks. How long did it take to get the stations in operation? How long did it take to get the 10 meter stations on frequency so they could talk to each other? Who forgot to put a full load of gas in the generator? So it was not perfect. It was good.

I know that all of you are involved with LCARES. Your hearts are definitely in the right places and for our little county you are all right on the mark. What the ARRL is looking for goes way beyond that in regards to training. Remember the old saying about the Pig and Chicken in regards to breakfast?

A Pig and a Chicken are walking down the road.
    [​IMG]

The Chicken says: "Hey Pig, I was thinking we should open a restaurant!"
    Pig replies: "Hm, maybe, what would we call it?"
    The Chicken responds: "How about 'ham-n-eggs'?"
    The Pig thinks for a moment and says: "No thanks. I'd be committed, but you'd only be involved."

I don't expect commitment from you. You have lives, families, jobs, and other interests. I do too. I have no desire to train like I did for the Army (when I think about that I shudder - damn near the pig's role!) and for my professional life. I needed to be the best in both of those life roles. I think that N1ZZZ and N3SRO understand that commitment in their professional lives. There will always be those that do enough to get by and those that reach for Heaven. And those in the middle who because of interest may do more.

Some times those in the middle are those that are really valuable. They are the ones that can be motivated to take some leadership positions in ARES. They are really needed. If the training that the ARRL wishes to impose then it will surely drive them away. That will not improve anything.

As far as our training is concerned - there is just so much needed that I don't know what to write about. But going ahead of training there is the people thing. It will not do much good if the call goes out and no one shows to be assigned to do something. So we need people. Those that fall some where between involved and committed. If the tale be told we don't have enough.

Then we need to train those people on the fundamentals. How set up a station. How to talk on the air. How to interact with the people from our served agencies. The first will be fun and interesting. The second will be boring. The last one will all depend on how involved the person wants to be and if the person has the personality traits to do it.

There is a multitude of things that require training. But the amount of training really requires commitment. And I am afraid all of us are just involved.

SSES Locations...
    - We have the laptops ready, almost. But that is just lucky number 13 and it will fall on Tuesday Morning. I promise. Now we need the people. Here is the list from 2017. I have removed some of those that will not be participating. If you are going to go to the same location as last year let me know. If you would like to volunteer for a position let me know. If you want to go some where else let me know. An island vacation is out of the question.

Municipality Laptop
    Number Ready To Go Operator
    In 2017 2018 Practice Drill 2018 Evaluated Drill
    Black Creek Township 2 √

Butler Township / Conyngham Borough 3 √ KB3MMM

Conyngham Township 14 √ KC3HLT

Dorrance Township 13 NRY KB3ACO

Hollenback Township 9 √ N1ZZZ K3VQI K3VQI
    Hunlock Township 16 √ KB3VS

Huntington Township/New Columbus Borough 8 √ K2PG

Nanticoke City 17 √ KC3FKW

Nescopeck Borough 11 √ KC3BXS

Nescopeck Township 5 √ AB3ZI

Newport Township 7 √ KA3CWR

Nuangola Borough 15 √

Salem Township 12 √

Shickshinny Borough 4 √ K3DBG

Slocum Township 6 √ N3SRO

Sugarloaf Township 10 √

Union Township 18 √ N3RN

Luzerne County EOC

K3TOW

WN3LIF

KA3EEO

Lots of room for everyone. You've done it before. This is probably one of the only things that we don't need training to do.

Antennas at WN3LIF...
    [​IMG]
    - Still going through the thought processes about the new antenna. After some measuring I figured out that I can just fit a loop antenna here. There are advantages to all of these things. Space is the primary concern. Many have said a vertical is the way to go. If I had the ground to put the radials I might consider it. And a dog that didn't dig them up. There used to be a vertical here. All 43 feet of it.

It was fun to watch it bend in the wind. It didn't fall but it should took a wicked bend even with the guys located at the mid point of the mast. The neighbor used to stand on his porch and watch it sway. Said it reminded him of his days on a U.S. Navy Destroyer in a storm. OK, so it swayed a lot.

As you can see it was toward the back of the lot. Not all that much room for radials. In fact even getting one a quarter wave on 20 was a bit of a problem. It was not the greatest as far as an HF antenna.

Still more thought. It is going to be decided this month. It may end up being a multi-band trapped dipole that is considerably higher than the current one. It may be an Inverted L. It might be a plain jane end fed half way. It will probably go up with enough intention that it will last the winter and then after that it another period of thought will start on how to improve it.

Isn't this fun?

Ham Radio Links
    N3LLR's Ham Radio Forum
    ARRL Eastern PA Section Web Site
    Luzerne County ARES®
    Harris County Texas ARES® - A great training resource
    Lake County (OH) RACES Personal Go-Kit for Emergency Operations - KE7LHR
    MecklenBurg County ARES® and RACES
    K0BG - The Website for Mobile Amateur Radio Operators (Perhaps the best web site on mobile operations I have found!)
    Origins of Ham Speak - Fact, Legends, and Myths??? - Compiled by AC6V from the Internet and other unreliable sources
    The Petite Prepper
    The VOA Radiogram
    Luzerne County ARES Facebook Page <-- New
    Closing
    Thank you for copying our weekly digital information Bulletin to all Amateur Radio Operators.

Send reception reports and comments to ec@w3luz.org.

Have a good week everyone!

W.T.
    WN3LIF
    ARRL EPA Section Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL EPA District 3 District Emergency Coordinator
    ARRL ARES® Emergency Coordinator
    Luzerne County ARES®
    email: ec@w3luz.org
    3:16
    ARES and "Amateur Radio Emergency Services" are registered service marks owned by the American Radio Relay League, The National Association of Amateur Radio. Use of these service marks is by permission only. Total prep time for this bulletin - 5 hours.