Bubblegum Trading Cards circa 1938

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by W.T. Jones, Aug 22, 2015.

1. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

I was searching for other things on the Internet tonight. I was actually looking for some articles on "marine communications" but like all Internet Searches you get what you asked for and I guess "Marine Communications" is more popular than Inmarsat is.

So I got this:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-C-Opening/

Interesting article on a lot of Marine Corps History. I have a friend who is a fellow Shooter, Gunnery Sergeant (ret.) Jose Torres-Reyes, who taught Marine Corps Lore and History at Parris Island. So when I saw this article I thought that it was a must read for our next face to face visit.

If you go to that link and search for "Marine Field Radio" it will take you to, of all things, a Bubblegum Card for Marine Communicators Training and how good it was. Jobs after the service and all that. I thought that was pretty interesting. The only bubblegum cards I remember were the baseball cards (I still have my Whitey Ford one) so I went back to Duck Duck Go and did some more searching. Not much to be found but I did find this Flickr site that had a Gum, Inc., Card Collection (produced in Philadelphia, PA, in 1938) on the Horrors of War. Talk about graphic. Remember, this was 1938. The Good Old Days!

The back of the card had printed under the description:
    "To know the HORRORS OF WAR is to want PEACE!"

And then is the usual commercial:
    This is one of 240 stories of modern warfare. Save to get them all and compete for 1000 cash prizes. Ask your dealer. Copyright 1938. GUM, Inc., Phila, PA. Printed in U. S. A.

As the owner of the Flickr site says - Equal parts gruesome and gorgeous.

I did a little more research and found that this was part of the America First Movement that wanted to keep the US out of war. I don't know if these were bubblegum cards that were sold to children or to adults but it was definitely a scare tactic that would give an impressionable youngster nightmares.

Here is the link but remember they pictures are a bit gruesome as they portray the conditions of the world in 1938. They are all artwork and as the owner states, gruesome but gorgeous. Click on the > on the right hand side to progress through the cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97667017@N05/10329423823/in/photostream/

wedgar likes this.
  2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Interesting bubblegum cards. Interesting difference between the two. One photos and the other drawings.

3. Michael J Malone

Michael J Malone Active Member

wedgar likes this.
  4. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member