Can I use an old, old laptop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tony, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Gold Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv ARES Member

Hey, Walt. You talked about reviving an old laptop for a friend last year. It was in wedgar's thread on the Forbes article about snooping or something on Sept. 15.

I tripped across an old, old Toshiba Satellite Pro 420 CDS in a pile of my junk recently.

Do you think there is any hope to use that for fldigi or anything else with Linux?

I don't think I have a network card for it.

Or, anybody else on board who can answer, please speak up. I am shameless for asking questions.

Here's news: I just started it for the first time this century I think. The bios battery was dead. I got past that O.K. But, holy cow, it's running Windows 95.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    W.T. Jones and wedgar like this.
  2. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

I didn't realize you were that old having a Windows 95 computer... :p

3. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

Tony,

If it is running then that is a good thing. As long the bios works all you need is a linux liveCD and you should be ready for a test run. Boot from the LiveCD and see if it works. If it does then it is up to you to install it on the drive or just run it from the LiveCD.

wedgar likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Gold Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv ARES Member

Thanks. I appreciate this.

wedgar likes this.