Christmas Drone Recovery Operations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wedgar, Dec 27, 2015.

1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

Five minutes into the maiden flight of my drone on Christmas Eve afternoon, my cell phone displaying the view of the flight path went into power saving mode causing lose of flight control.

We found the drone roughly 50' up a tree stuck there.

Recovered the drone today using six 8-foot sections of garden stakes with a small hook taped to the top stake.

However, I found two motors were burned out and needing replaced. One arm of the drone was also distorted and needs replaced.

About $40 worth of replacement parts and a week for them to come in and it should be a good as new.

Good news - we didn't need Civil Air Patrol to conduct search and rescue efforts.

Pictures 1 & 2 are the drone and the third picture is the tree the drone was stuck in. You can see a red dot in the middle point and slightly right hand side of the picture where the drone is stuck in the branches.

Drone-1.jpg

Drone-2.jpg

Drone-tree.jpg

2. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Gold Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv ARES Member

Don't fly aircraft into trees.

wedgar likes this.
  3. wedgar

You got that one right! Happy New Year!

4. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

Actually I think a tree is the best place for a drone.

wedgar likes this.
  5. wedgar

Nah... I want to use it to search alligators in our campground lake.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  6. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

OK now that is a use for a drone that I can condone.

Maybe we could arm it with air to surface ordinance. Naw, I am sure someone in the campground would complain about the explosions.

wedgar likes this.
  7. wedgar

How about laser? :whistle:

8. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Gold Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv ARES Member

I don't know if I would use a drone to hunt gators.

I'd use a gun.

wedgar likes this.
  9. wedgar

So you'd go to guns then?

I'm just interested in finding them, not hunting them.

It would be cool to get some pictures of them in the lake.

W.T. Jones likes this.
  10. W.T. Jones

Probably more interesting to get pictures of them waiting outside your front door.

wedgar likes this.
  11. wedgar

I've got about a 3 foot distance from RV door to ground. Don't think they can climb well.

They'd lose their heads waiting outside my door. :whistle:

12. wedgar

Did get the replacement parts in to fix the drone - that will probably be done this weekend.

Amazing how small these parts are.

13. W.T. Jones

Did you order more than one set. Your track record isn't so good with the drone.

wedgar likes this.
  14. wedgar

Nah... The Drone shop is local to me. They also have an indoor test flight area. That is a good idea as the drone can't get too far or too high.

15. wedgar

Actually, I'm thinking a drone would be a good way to string string up to install dipole antennas for field day. Would be much faster and probably more accurate than some other methods.

16. W.T. Jones

It may not pull the dipole up but it would probably pull the messenger line up to get the process started!

Maybe there is a good use for these gadgets in the offing. Sure beats skewering your neighbour's grill with an arrow as I have seen in the past.

wedgar likes this.
  17. wedgar

Hmmm..... If you shot their steak with an arrow, I wonder if the game laws pertain???? :p

W.T. Jones likes this.
  18. W.T. Jones

Depends on the type of "steak" they were cooking and if the fellow can't cook it might be his salvation.

wedgar likes this.
  19. wedgar

I'm certain in your neighborhood and mine, that shooting someone's steak with a bow and arrow might be considered an act of aggression. :mad:

Enough to sic the dogs on someone.

20. W.T. Jones

Nope, the dog gets the steak! Around here the people would probably applaud the accuracy of the shooter.

Back when we had our first Corgi, Winnie, Jan took our steaks off the grill, and put them on the table to rest. We both went about getting ready and when I came back to the table I said to Jan "Didn't we have 2 steaks?" She immediately said yes and wanted to know why I was asking. I said there is only one here!

Well, we looked under the table, back to the grill, and every where. Next thing we see Winnie come trotting happily out of the front room with a t bone in her mouth looking like the cock of the walk and headed for the back door. We never did figure out if we dropped it or she managed to get it off the table. Her jumping ability was phenomenal so she just might have helped herself.

No scolding or yelling. We just smiled and learned a lesson about keeping careful track of our steaks in the future.

I really miss that little dog.

wedgar likes this.