Forbes Article on Microsoft Placing Tracking Software on Windows 7 and 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wedgar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

2. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

So do you realize how much you were tracked when you clicked on that link? That tracking is everywhere.

Even Ubuntu Linux tries to track but since it is Linux it can be "fixed" so that doesn't happen.

But if you use a browser that isn't protected everything flows out to the metrics collectors.

wedgar likes this.
  3. wedgar

The browser is kind of understood, but why does MSoft need a key-logger? What about computers running Windows 7, 8 or even 10 that are associated with health care, taxes, or even insurance that are using data protected under HIPPA regulations?

W.T. Jones likes this.
  4. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv EPA Leader AtlDiv ARES Member

Well, whether you like it or not or know it or not there has been a key logger running on every version of Windows since 3.11. It just came with architecture of Windows. It is part of the "human input/output" system. It even tracks mouse movements.

All of the "getting to know you" settings can be disabled. More than likely in commercial environments the systems will be deployed from a "golden image" that has been secured. But Windows 10 is just as leaky as any other previous versions. MS has just been more forthcoming with the details than before.

BTW, some things like the pc's camera should be disabled in the bios. That way no operating system can access it.

wedgar likes this.
  5. wedgar

Did Msoft's key logger for Windows 8 and earlier send that key logger data back to Msoft?

Good comment on the camera. I know people who place black electrical tape over the camera foe added security.

6. W.T. Jones

Depended on whether or not the user had opted into the Microsoft Customer Experience Program or if there was an error and the prompt came up to report the error to MS.

wedgar likes this.
  7. wedgar

ok... Good to know.

I never was interested in participating with the Microsoft Customer Experience Program.

Good to know about reporting an error to MS...

8. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Gold Member Golden GPS Recipient AtlDiv ARES Member

I'm quite happy to be away from Microsoft.

9. wedgar

What are you using, Apple?

10. Tony

Yep.

11. W.T. Jones

Seems that the Apple and Linux users are all watching this MS Win 10 happening with some amusement.

One of area Hams, WA3YZD, a police chief by profession so not really all that computer savvy, asked me to put Ubuntu Linux on one of his old, been hit by lightning, and not enough memory (only 512Mb) laptops. He said that that just wanted to play with it for Fldigi. The laptop has been through the mill. I had to Spinrite it to fix the damage to the disk (now working fine), and just to he couldn't say that I lost his stuff that was on the Windows partition I dual booted it. The Spinrite was 18 hours but the installation of Ubuntu was less than an hour. I did put the Fldigi suite on for him too.

That was Monday night.

On Wednesday I received this email...

"How do you do Lotw?"

Sent him to the Software Manager for TQSL.

Next message...

"What kind of maintenance do I have to do to keep the Ubuntu running?"

I told him that when it wants to install patches to let it but other than that nothing needs to be done.

Final email....

"Just made three contacts with fldigi and uploaded them to Lotw. This thing is fast!"

So, he...

1. Installed TQSL without any technical help.
    2. Transferred his certificates from his Windows system to the Linux System without any technical help.
    3. Ran Fldigi and configured it without any technical help.
    4. Interfaced his laptop to his Icom for audio and rig control.
    5. Made 3 contacts and get them into the logging program.
    6. Uploaded them to LotW without any problem.

All on a laptop that had a 50G disk, 512Mb of memory, missing a cover, a network card in the system that was dead to windows, and no experience with Linux.

Another success story for Ubuntu Linux. Why people stay on Windows when there is Apple and Linux is beyond me.

I know that there are some programs that don't work on Apple or Linux but there are a lot of suitable replacements.

I guess Windows Users are the Sheeple of the Computer world.

wedgar likes this.
  12. Tony

Walt, I tell people about my Apple experience, but I really don't want to sound like an evangelist.

I stayed away from Apples when the system was proprietary, but once Apple went to BSD Unix, and after I left work, I went to Apple.

My wife was a tougher sell. I bought her a laptop after I went to Apple with the promise I would immediately return her to Widows if she wanted to go back. At the Apple Store we bought her a program she wanted and when we got home she asked when I was going to install it. I said I wouldn't, and told her when she was ready to put in the CD.

Then I shut up and went to make coffee.

When I got back she was sitting there and asked what to do next. Click the icon, I said. Immediately she was working. She never mentioned PC again. No font problem, no printer problem, no driver problem, no me struggling with her software and swearing.

It just worked, and has worked ever since.

Just the other I said to her, "Here's a computer word we have not spoken in years: driver." She just smiled and said she loves her Apple.

Expensive? Not in the slightest. No support time. Period. No drivers. For me, that is. They still are there, but invisible to the user.

I have not wanted for anything in the way of software, really, except a radio signal propagation piece. For that I use one that is web-based.

I quietly let my PC friends continue on with their war stories, for I have none to tell. I don't try to sell Apple or evangelize. I really don't care how much trouble PCs cause other people.

When I want to play deeper into the system, I dig into Terminal and monkey with Unix command line stuff. Even though I probably should be in there messing, I just have fun.

My old, old laptop still runs splendidly while a couple friends have replaced theirs twice. It has outlived Safari, according to some web sites, so I went back to Firefox that I used in PCs. If a site doesn't work with Safari at all, I generally dump it. Their loss if they are too stupid not to want to serve a sizable part of the market. I don't have time for them.

Expensive? Not at all. I just use these Apples and don't ever sweat in the background fixing, doing that hard drive stuff that I forget the name of. What the heck is it called? We only do a periodic and mostly automatic permission repair. It takes use literally 30 seconds to start it, then forget it until a couple months later. It just to keep me happy. For a longbtimecwe didn't do that, and nothing bad happened.

And finally, I have not rebooted any of our laptops or desktops since I can remember.

I didn't mean to, but I just evangelized. Forgive me this one time.

wedgar likes this.
  13. wedgar

Why? I thought you two were pretty tight? :p

Say again? :p

Thanks for sharing. Good info!

I dunno. Will your wife for returning her to Widows? :p