Luzerne Co. APRS coverage is great!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by Jeremy, Nov 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

I have to say that I'm impressed with the VHF APRS network here in Luzerne Co. From my humble, attic-mounted discone; I am able to pull in stations from as far north as Canada, as far south as Washington, DC; as far East as Long Island, NY; and as far west as Pittsburgh.

If you want to go to the next step, there is also a 30-Meter robust packet (RPR) digipeater/iGate located at the EOC that I have worked from the Eastern Atlantic and Eastern Pacific.

Of course most of this is due to the well-placed Digipeaters in the area and the hard work of several area amateurs who keep it all going.

So a big thank you to all and if you're in the mood, drop me an APRS message.

Jeremy N1ZZZ

2. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

Well, right now that HF Packet Gateway is off the air. Not because of technical reasons however. Just a lack of patience on the part of the maintainer.

The PC that runs the show including the Robust Packet HF APRS node and I did not have a meeting of the minds last night. I may have reached the limit of how many devices I can hang off the USB bus. Not sure yet but just maybe. There are 3 signalinks - 1 for VHF packet, 1 for HF Fldigi, and 1 (the new one) that will interconnect to the FT-8800 to allow Skywarn Reports to be received at the EOC via Fldigi. The kink in the system is that the VHF APRS signalink runs with a daemon called SoundModem and that requires IDing the signalink on the USB bus with its hardware IDs.

3 Signalinks and getting the right hardware identify for them takes a little bit of doing. I will admit that some of it is guess work on may part but the other thing is that when the PC enumerates the USB bus it may be resequencing the Signalink IDs. I'll be in the EOC on Saturday for the Winlink show and tell session and I'll have it figured out by then. Sometimes you just have to walk away from the problem and get a fresh perspective.

The Digipeater system will be expanding in the next month. Thanks to the Anthracite Repeater Association in Hazleton we will have a new digipeater on Freeland Mountain. This digipeater was the one that used to be on Forkston Mountain but it was found to be pretty redundant after the implementation of K3JML-5 at Forest Lake. So it has been taken down, refurbished, and will be heading to Freeland.

And I would be remiss to say that the digipeaters through out the area are the hard work of K3TOW, the late N3FJA, and N3VTH.

3. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones Moderator Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

The HF Robust Packet APRS Station is back on the air. Before the Winlink S&T I managed to identify the Signalinks and assign them to the right programs.

1 Signalink attached to the Yaesu FT-897 for HF Fldigi
    1 Signalink attached to the Kenwood DM-710 for VHF APRS
    1 Signalink attached to FT-8800 for VHF Fldigi
    1 SCS Robust Packet Modem attached to Icom 735 for HF APRS

Documenting this will take me at least until the Thanksgiving following this one.