PA Homestead amendment

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Jeremy, Nov 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

Well it looks like PA has granted the legislature the power to exempt any percentage of homestead property tax. I will be interested to see how they use this power.

Personally, to balance tax burden and revenue, I'd like to see a means test applied. Someone on a low fixed income should pay very little, while someone earning six and seven figures should get a very small break, if any. People around the middle should pay something, but nothing that will burden their finances too much.

I do expect to see a higher income or sales tax if they do this, as it's the only real way to make up the difference and fund schools and county governments.

Jeremy N1ZZZ

2. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Its not going to work. It requires we trust Harrisburg with doling out school money fairly. Of course that won't happen.

Even before the voting results were dry on the paper, I was reading how the school real estate tax could not be entirely eliminated and instead would still have to be levied locally to pay for the districts' debt. Already conditions were being advanced.

This amendment is a political ruse, something to blame increased taxes on. If real estate is tax eliminated, we will be in for some of the longest, most expensive law suits imaginable over fair apportionment of tax money to the districts. Why? The big cities with powerful delegations will get the major portion. The smaller places will be begging. That's the way Pennsylvania operates. It will be a dream to think the state will dole money out to districts on a strictly per capita basis, relying on the school enrollment. The state will impose all sorts of twists and turns to reward and punish various constituencies. Why would the system be any less corrupt that our capitol is now?

The voters never should have been offered a vote on a partial plan. The entire package of total taxes, and how school districts would be funded, should have been advanced. Why would a majority ever entrust government with a partial plan?

I am relatively certain those who voted for the amendment were quite naive in expecting tax relief. They saw elimination of real estate tax and quit thinking. All who were supporting it had a vested interest, and only pointed to the elimination of real estate tax.

Should real estate tax be eliminated? Yes, of course it should. Again, we should have been shown the entire plan before we were asked to approve a piece of it.

All they showed us was the poke. We never got a look at the pig.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

I tend to agree Tony, but people tend to be myopic and if they see a way to lower their individual tax burden at the expense of a government service they don't use, then they will do it. Seniors, who don't have pensions taxed, will see their overall tax burden be reduced to sales tax and that is fine by them since they no longer care about the schools. The issue becomes not only one of disbursement, but also of how to ensure there is a enough money to go around due to variable tax receipts from alternative sources (mostly income and sales tax which are highly dependent on the state of the economy).

Jeremy N1ZZZ

4. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

It’s ironic that elderly who don’t care about schools benefit greatly from all those doctors keeping them alive longer than ever.

I wonder where they suppose the docs came from.