What about that QST cover?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio General Discussion' started by Tony, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

There's a letter in this month's QST questioning the cover picture of the month before, referring to proper climbing gear.

The editor said there are several issues with the picture.

What don't I see? I didn't study it closely. What are the several issues? What's with the climbing gear?

2. AE1N

AE1N New Member

QST COVER DEPICTS UNSAFE KNOT ON RIGGING
    • Here is an important safety subject (from QRZ Forums) that I pass along regarding harnesses and tower climbing…
    • W0BX: The tower climber shown on the March 2017 cover of QST is shown being belayed by a knot that has no place in safety equipment. The double overhand knot that is depicted on the back of the climber’s harness not only an easily untied, weak knot, it is not even dressed tightly. The zip ties on the line are a laughable attempt at making a bad knot better. As a professional climber myself, I can understand how people with no knowledge of safety equipment could make this mistake, but to put it on the cover of a DIY magazine like QST is really shocking.
    • If you value your life or the life of those that you work with, consider looking at one of the many on-line resources for climbing knots. In this application, a figure 8, figure 9, or a double bowline with a stopper knot would be a far safer choice. After tying this or any knot, maximum strength is realized by “dressing” the knot by arranging the strands so that parallel strands within the knot do not twist, and the knot is pulled up tight. Be safe up there!
    • Having her long hair blowing around loose near all that rigging is also a major safety problem. That said, it is obvious that the point of the photograph isn’t safety equipment. Or safety practices. Or the HT, for that matter.
    • WB2WIK: She is a ham, and identified by her callsign and an article she wrote for last month’s issue. But that doesn’t mean she’s a tower climber. As I posted above, my guess is she was standing on the ground. Other than teaching really poor tower climbing practice, which it wasn’t intended to teach anyway, it’s a very nice shot.
    • KK4ZYM: Showed that picture to the boys in our Boy Scout Troop. The first response from a couple of them was, “Do they want her to fall?” or “Hope that picture was on the ground.”
    • Layne AE1N

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    wedgar likes this.
  3. Tony

I'm pretty familiar with some sailing knots, but that safety knot got past me.

Let's give the young lady due credit, though, for her ham work and for getting her article published.

wedgar likes this.
  4. W.T. Jones

W.T. Jones You can't make me come in Staff Member Silver Member Golden GPS Recipient

wedgar likes this.
  5. Michael J Malone

Michael J Malone Active Member

I wish I could see the grapple the round is bent on - the knot might well be an anchor hitch or a fisherman's (woman's) hitch.
    Thought the picture on the QST cover was intriguing also.

Mike - WE3L

wedgar likes this.
  6. wedgar

wedgar Administrator Staff Member Gold Member

That's like the Holy Grail for tying knots! That would have been handy when learning knots in Boy Scouts...

7. Tony

An old sailing friend of mine showed me a knot for climbing up a mast, or a pole, like climbing with a ladder. It was two knots, one for each foot, and a main knot or two around the pole. You raise your feet one at a time and move up the knot the foot is in, then do with the other foot moving the knots up the pole.

I have a 60-foot flag pole that needs painting and new halyards. I don't think my wife wants me to go up, but I would like to try the knots for a few feet. Or maybe have her climb the pole.

If anybody finds them, please let me know.

I looked though W.T.'s knot link and didn't see it. Wonder if it may be on YouTube. Will have to look.

8. K3UJ

K3UJ New Member

Have not done that on a flag pole, though it might work. Ascender knots, usually a prusik knot on the rope. Two are used, one attached to your harness, the other to a set of foot stirrups. Stirrups are bowlines. The move is not a walk up, one foot at a time, but a sit / stand routine. Stand move the harness knot up, now sit pull up your legs and move the foot knot. It works and is a lot of work.

It's there, http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik...png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint
    Also look at the Klemheist. http://www.animatedknots.com/klemhe...png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

9. Tony

Yep. Thanks, I saw those. They are not the setup I was seeking.

The one I had employed the bowlines for foot loops, I think, but somehow or other advanced the climber up the pole one step at a time.

I wanted to try this on something low for a test to see if I wanted to try to climb a 60-foot flag pole. I'm starting to think that the best thing would be to hire a bucket truck.

I did see a seat arrangement a guy made that used chair-type seat and brackets. The climbed advanced much the same way of your method. And when you got to the top you had a seat to work from.